This month's Mystery Box Cupcake Challenge, presented by The Sweetest Kitchen, had an Earth Day theme. I knew right away that I wanted to make a blue and green cupcake, but I didn't want to just color it blue and green. Since the only blue food I could think of was blueberries, I started there. Remembering the technique I used in my last Mystery Box entry (Lavender Milk Tea cupcakes), I decided to infuse the batter with one of my favorite teas, Trader Joes' blueberry green tea.
- 1 C whole milk
- 4-6 tea bags
- 1/2 C butter
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp lemon baking emulsion
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
I don't want to talk about the frosting...suffice it to say it would have been easier and more cooperative if it was nothing but shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla. That'll teach me to try new weird things.
The winner of April’s Mystery Box Cupcake Challenge will receive prizes from:
- Angela's Images; a selection of handmade crafts
- Bake It Pretty; a $5 online gift card
- Beanilla; a $7 online gift card
- Miss Kitty Creations; a handmade cupcake charm of your choice
- My Little Cupcake; a cupcake pop mold
- Simply Caked; 600 brown greaseproof cupcake liners
- Sweet Cuppin Cakes; a $5 online gift card
- Tundra Books; 3 Earth-knowledgeable children's books
Thank you to all our prize sponsors!