Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Lane Cake

Look at this gorgeous background...it's the mess that is M's dining room!

Dear Lane Cake,
You were kind of a b*tch. But my boyfriend really, really liked you. I knew that he would, with your bourbony, pecany, goodness. You are trouble, but unfortunately, I think I'll have to let you come visit again.
Hearts,
Christy


A Lane cake is a traditional southern cake, made with light white cake layers, a boozy fruit/nut filling, and fluffy white frosting. I saw a recipe in Cook's Country and knew that I had to try to make a version for my boyfriend's college graduation. He is a big whiskey drinker and has an affinity for pecans.

The frosting uses corn syrup and is sticky as all get out. It is like glue. Delicious, delicious glue. I still am very wary of corn syrup, after the incident where I accidentally spilled an entire bottle of it on the floor of my car's trunk. Oh, life.

It was a really delicious, though very boozy! I enjoyed it, despite the fact that I'm not a whiskey drinker at all. My boyfriend really enjoyed it at as well, and carried on about it more than I've seen him do for almost anything else I've baked.


No comments:

Post a Comment