Saturday, September 17, 2011

Lavender Orange Macarons with Lemon Curd Filling


So, I might be addicted to making macarons. I also might have a problem with doing nothing but stare at them while they're baking and pray that they come out. When the first cookie sheet of these gave the slightest indication that they were getting feet, I felt like dancing. My macarons are working, my macarons are working!

Anyway.

These macarons have ground culinary lavender in them as well as some orange extract. Matt showed up with both of these items from an awesome market he went to in Atlanta while he was helping his brother move back in August. I have a pint of lavender and it cost just over two dollars. Now I just need to think of more lavender things to bake.




Lavender Macarons
If you can actually pipe uniformly, this should make about 15 total macarons (30 shells)
  • 3/4 C Almond Flour
  • 1 C Powdered Sugar
  • 2 Large Egg Whites
  • 1/8 tsp Cream of Tartar
  • 1/4 C Granulated Sugar 
  • 1 TBSP Culinary Lavender
  • 1/2 tsp Orange Extract
  • 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
I'm still not going to include the directions for making the macarons because I'm so not confident in my strategy yet. But, for this recipe, I pureed the lavender in my food processor along with the almonds and powdered sugar. 

Lemon/Citrus Curd
  •  3 TBSP Lemon Juice
  • 3 TBSP Granulated Sugar
  • 2 TBSP Butter
  • 1 Large Egg
  • 1/2 tsp Orange Extract 
  1. Put all the ingredients into a saucepan and cook over medium. Stir consistently with a whisk. Try to encourage the butter to melt - you can expedite this by cutting up the butter before putting it in the saucepan. 
  2. Cook until it the mixture starts to thicken and as you bring your whisk across the bottom of the saucepan lines in the curd remain visible. 
  3. Place in a container in the refrigerator and cover the surface with plastic wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment