Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes


I made these cupcakes using the recipe at Whisk Kid which came from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.

I'm not actually a vegan, but one of my law school friends is and I decided to finally make a cupcake for a bake sale that he can eat. These cupcakes are really good, and the "cream cheese" frosting has the same tang as dairy cream cheese frosting. I used Tofutti's Better Than Cream Cheese in it.

I had a little problem with thickening the soy milk. I think I let it sit a bit to long, so I actually had small curds form. The cake tasted good, but the texture was a bit irregular. I'd let the soy milk and vinegar react for less time if I made these again.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!!
    The frosting tasted so like cream cheese frosting, and I had to wonder for a minute if it was really vegan...
    I have problems with soy milk curd formation too... hate that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it wasn't just me! I think I should have strained it, but I didn't know it would do that so I didn't think about it soon enough.

    ReplyDelete